Saturday, October 31, 2009

Ben's Got Cancer - one year old today

From Chris:
One year and 75,000 hits ago today we started this blog at Ben's request. If you don't remember how it got its name go back to the first blog. What a lot of water and tears have passed under the bridge in this last year.

From Lindy:
When people ask how we're doing I usually say not too bad. Sure! We're not too bad. We are finding ways to cope. My counselling course calls it "reconstructing meaning after loss." I have a collection of at least 50 Teddies which have taken over our bedroom and Chris has a growing collection of wine. Yep! We're doing fine if Teddys and wine are the measure. But they don't make up for Ben. [Chris says: stay tuned for a photo of all the bears I share a bedroom with.]

Black humour has also been our very welcome companion during Ben's illness and now in his absence. When we were talking with the boys about Ben's plaque in the cemetery, we talked about a different site which would have room for another set of ashes. Tim and Pete both said 'Pido Yo!' which means 'Me, Mine!'

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

May I ask - why teddies and red wine?

Ben's Bloggers said...

Good question!

Teddys: I (Lindy) originally put them in Ben's room sitting on his bed so that when we walked past we would see happy things rather than an empty Ben that Ben would never use again. Tim and Andy have moved in to Ben's room so the Teddys are in our room. Some are in Matt's room too smiling at him.

Wine: mmm that's more difficult says Chris. But just to clarify: it's not just red wine. I'd hate there to be a misunderstanding. It's both red and white wine that I find on a new auction site. I mean: if a good wine costs $3 a bottle it's hard to go past isn't it? I just hope it ages well!