Tuesday, February 24, 2009

For as long as it takes

"For as long as it takes" is the title of an excellent article on grief and the myth of closure. It can be found here in last Sunday's Age.

The article talks of the "aftershocks" as a new wave of grief is triggered by memories or reminders. For me the aftershock comes with a start - a bewildered lostness and a physical knot inside - when I see photos or think of Ben and then suddenly realize that he is really gone. And gone so far away. I would walk 500 miles just to see your smile again. So I cry, and then do the next thing that has to be done. For as long as it takes.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Very good article, thanks for sharing it with us........and I can only sort of imagine what you're all still feeling and the aftershocks and pain that keep coming like waves....When I look at Ben's lovely photos and think he's not in this world any more, I feel a knot in my stomach ....and I'm not his parent or sister!!
Love to you all, Mercedes

Meg said...

One of my favourite songs is Viva la Vida. I will forever link it to the grief at Ben's funeral. Although I love it, it makes me cry when I hear it. This, of course, makes me think of you all and how often 'things' will knock you sideways. Lots of Love to you all, ALWAYS.