Monday, May 7, 2012

Bumping into Rosie

I thought Andre’s suggestion was a good one about re-posting old blogs as a way of re-remembering for the blog site. And I came across the following one.

It mentions Rosie who was Ben’s nurse at the time and it made me smile because a few weeks ago I bumped into her at the swimming pool. After three and a half years I didn’t think she would recognise me but I thought it was worth a try so I spoke to her.

She knew who I was instantly and we had a tearful sigh and then chuckled together as she mentioned how Ben had indeed come out of his induced coma like a bull at a gate.

November 30th, 2008 

The waking up process has started for Ben. The Drs. are hoping to be able to extubate him on Tuesday which means the next couple of days are a weaning and adjusting period for him. So far, so good. 
Various drugs have been turned off and his sedation level has been lightened. This means that he can move his legs a bit and is clearly uncomfortable at times. I guess that’s not surprising given that he has something like a garden hose jammed down the back of his throat. 



His nurse of the last couple of days (Rosie who is fantastic) said this morning. “He’s coming out of this just like a young man should; like a bull at a gate.” 

It's great seeing his eyes open a bit. It's even better seeing his eyes without the look of total confusion they had before he was intubated and sedated. 



We are very grateful to the staff in ICU. They are dedicated, professional and caring. Thank you so much to you all.


Cheers for now and thanks to all of you too. We’ll keep trying to keep you up on the latest. 


Lindy

No comments: