Thursday, May 5, 2011

Soccer anyone?

Ben and Jess directed Mallacoota Theos youth outreach together. Jess remembers...
This is a memory of Ben from Theos 2005/06. It was the year of the rustic Ben - very tanned, blonde dreads...spent most of his time in boardies and a blue wife beater :)
We were out on the oval one afternoon playing soccer when I rolled my ankle. Stubbornly I kept playing, even though the most pace I could get up was a pretty pathetic hobble. Finally someone (in desperation?) passed the ball to me, but when I looked up there was Ben pelting toward me like a steam train, moving in for the tackle.
I think a squeak of terror was all I managed to get out before we collided... but imagine my surprise when instead of flying through the air for an awkward landing, I was gracefully slung up over one shoulder as he neatly collected the ball and kept running.
He ran all the way down the field, and either scored a goal or came pretty close to, with me held up by one arm! I retired after that... but it certainly made my day :)

1 comment:

phillingyouin said...

Ben looks so much like Chris in this pic.

Great story :) xx