Monday, August 24, 2009

24 today



24 years ago in the small hours of the morning in East Melbourne, Ben was born. I remember it well! And I remember the fragile bundle we took home from hospital. We were awed with that responsibility which first children impress on their parents as you take them from the safety of hospital. Little did we know ...

We had an asado (Argentine barbecue) yesterday with lots of Ben's friends: large slabs of meat and chicken cooked slowly over the coals. 27kg of well salted meat went down well. He would have liked to be there.

As the weeks go by the spaces between pain get longer, but the pain is no less. We look at photos or write on the blog, we invite friends for lunch and we talk about him. There are lots of things we do to make up for the one thing we can't do, which is to have him back again. Just to see his face again.

3 comments:

Emily Isham said...

It still feels like yesterday that I hugged him and he told me off for squishing him with my pregnant belly! Thinking of and praying for you all constantly... but ESPECIALLY today.

Ben's Bloggers said...

Thanks Emily!

Ser es extraño said...

Todavía me parece difícil creer que esto es verdad. A veces me doy cuenta de que trato de evitar las "señales" que dicen que es así... como dijo Pato en un comentario.

Hoy escuché la canción "Luz Maravillosa", la descubrí hace como dos años en el MySpace de Félix. Sé que Ben la conocía. Creo que lo que dice fue verdadero para él.

A veces me pregunto si este tipo de cosas son como un oasis en medio del desierto. Por suerte he escuchado de muchas de estas cosas. Varios oasis pueden convertirse en un lago o un mar, es mi esperanza :)

Me hubiera gustado un poco de asado!!

Un abrazo grande a todos.

*****
It's still hard for me to believe this is true. I find myself avoiding the signs, as Pato said on "I remember..."

I'm listening to this song "Marvelous light", I discovered it on Felix's Myspace. I know Ben heard it.

I think what it says was true for him. Sometimes I wonder myself if these kind of things are just like an oasis in the middle of the desert... Luckily I've seen many of them... Several oasis might become a lake or a sea. That's my prayer :)

The lyrics:

MARVELOUS LIGHT by Charlie Hall

I once was fatherless,
a stranger with no hope;
Your kindness wakened me,
Awakened me, from my sleep

Your love it beckons deeply,
a call to come and die.
By grace now I will come
And take this life, take your life.

Sin has lost it's power,
death has lost it's sting.
From the grave you've risen
VICTORIOUSLY!

Into marvelous light I'm running,
Out of darkness, out of shame.
By the cross you are the truth,
You are the life, you are the way

My dead heart now is beating,
My deepest stains now clean.
Your breath fills up my lungs.
Now I'm free. now I'm free!

Lift my hands and spin around,
See the light that i have found.
Oh the marvelous light
Marvelous light

Lift my hands and spin
See the light within...